The Master Encryption Key is the most important part of GhostVolt, it is used to secure all of your data and encryption keys.
Accessing the Master Encryption Key
You will be provided with a Master Encryption Key while installing GhostVolt - it is autmatically generated and you cannot change it - here you will be able to copy it to your clipboard so you can paste it into a secure file or location.
Securing the Master Encryption Key
To ensure the safety and security of your data we strongly recommend you do the following:
- Backup all encryption keys on a regular basis using the Backup Keys function.
- Change your Master Encryption Key on a regular basis using the Change Keys function.
Changing the Master Encryption Key
1. Select the Administrator tab in the GhostVolt window
2. Select the Change Keys button in the toolbar
3. Your new Master Encryption Key is provided here, ready for you to copy and paste to a secure location.
Backing up the Master Encryption Key
The Backup Keys function is located in the toolbar of the Administrator tab.
For information on the Backup Keys function go to Backing-up encryption keys
If your Master Encryption Key were to fall into the wrong hands your entire GhostVolt repository should be considered compromised and you should change it immediately. Even if your Master Encryption Key has not been compromised, we recommend you Change the Master Encryption Key every 90 days or less.
Note: Changing the Master Encryption Key can take a very long time and requires no other users are currently logged in (You can remotely logout users if you need to).